Old Vines Riesling Natural Brut
The third vintage of our Old Vines Riesling Natural Brut was crafted from a handful of rows in a single block of our 1978 heritage plantings.
This wine is as distinct as our site and with only 150 cases made it’s poised for special celebrations and those seeking something very unique from BC.
Bright straw in colour, the wine opens with a persistent, fine bead. Aromas of lemon and lime with wet stones waft from the glass – fresh and complex. The palate is lush yet holds great tension with mineral undertones and hints of grapefruit flesh and crisp Granny Smith apple. A classic Champagne character pairs beautifully alongside what you’d expect from Tantalus Old Vines Riesling – concentrated flavours and naturally bright acidity.
Following primary fermentation, the base wine was put to bottle and left en tirage for 2 years to quietly undergo its secondary fermentation. Once ready the wine was awoken from its slumber and disgorged in late winter 2016 with a light dosage from our Old Vines Riesling.
The 2013 growing season once again proved Mother Nature has no master. It was very hot and very humid – the perfect storm for all sorts of challenges including mildew and wasp damage. Our naturally farmed vineyard with its light canopies and low tonnages weathered the less than ideal conditions beautifully.
Like all of our wines, the Riesling was grown and produced at our historic, 75-acre estate in South East Kelowna. We’re proud to say our grapes are farmed by hand, without the use of herbicides or pesticides. Our thriving honey bee program, consisting of 53 hives, is a testament to the health and vitality of the vineyard.
- 90 POINTS – “This is a crisply dry sparkling wine with aromas of lemon and lime and flavours of green apple and grapefruit.” John Schreiner, APRIL 2016, John Schreiner on Wine
- 93 POINTS – “This a traditional method brut natural made from riesling planted on the property in 1978. Riesling sparklers in Canada don’t come with much more pedigree than that. It is a tightly wound, almost austere, vaguely off-dry example with great acidity and drive on the palate, leaving a trail of mouth-puckering lemon, some waxy character and wet stone. The length is excellent to outstanding.Tasted April 2016” David Lawrason, APRIL 2016, WineAlign.com
- 93 POINTS – “This precise sparkling Riesling is made from vines planted in 1978 on one of Tantalus’ estate vineyard plots. It boasts aromas of dried apricot, peach stone, lime and crunchy green apples firmly supported by straw, mineral, toast and baker’s yeast. The palate is brimming with tangy citrus, green apples and croissants slathered in peach jelly or perhaps apricot custard danishes… Excellent tension and focus with a concentrated finish.” Daenna Van Mulligan, APRIL 2016, The Wine Diva
- 90 POINTS – “The 2013 Sparkling Riesling confounds and may not at first be so obvious in its charms. Aromatically speaking it is chock full of apples and pears in variegated layers. There is weight on the palate and a feeling of lees that draws it inward. As I recall, the inaugaural 2010 Brut Riesling was no shrinking violet and stole hearts. The 2013 is more secretive, less forthright and needs time to open up. At present there is a light that glows behind a shroud of cloud. More than “one more night” will be needed to open the door, when the “the moon is shinin’ bright, lighting everything in sight.” Drink 2018-2022. Tasted April 2016″ Michael Godel, APRIL 2016, WineAlign.com
- 91 POINTS – “From their 1978 block of riesling vines, this traditional method brut sells out every year, prized for its originality and rarity as much for its vibrant, mouth-watering acidity and drive. Bright and juicy, with lively and pure lime, white grapefruit and green apple and racy, textured and pithy acidity. A potent stony riesling base buttresses the whole, while piercing limey acidity carries though the very lengthy finish. Well done. Tasted May 2016.” Treve Ring, MAY 2016, WineAlign.com