Old Vines Riesling
Year after year we strive to make our Old Vines Riesling a world-class wine – as pure a reflection of the fruit, the site and the season as we can. We feel the 2013 vintage is an exceptional example of what we are trying to accomplish.
Sun gold in colour, aromas of warm beeswax, granny smith apple and citrus peel leap from the glass. The palate is focused and intense with concentrated notes of preserved lemon, pithy marmalade and sour candies. Hints of minerality and a creamy meyer lemon curd character are beginning to emerge as a result of the wine’s two-year cellaring time before release. The finish is long and dry with a bright, textured acidity – the signature calling card of this wine each year.
The 2013 growing season once again proved Mother Nature has no master. It was very hot and humid – the perfect storm for all sorts of challenges including mildew and wasp damage. Our naturally farmed vineyard with its light canopies and low tonnages weathered these challenging conditions beautifully.
The Old Vines Riesling was made exclusively from fruit from our 1978 heritage blocks and produced at our historic, 75-acre estate in South East Kelowna. We continue to farm as sustainably as possible without the use of herbicides or pesticides.
We’re amazed at the diversity of species that can be found on our estate, including all that dwells within our mature, 10-acre forest at the centre of the vineyard. A naturally biodiverse vineyard, our thriving honey bee apiary and our LEED-Certified winery are just three of the many ways we’re working towards excellence in environmental sustainability.
- 94 POINTS – “The ‘joke’ is, Okanagan Valley in Canada is the ‘new world Alsace’. It’s a contender these days, at least. A wine region on the rise, vine age, good grape varieties, big international input from winemakers (Aussie and Kiwi accents are rife!). Indeed David Paterson is winemaker, ex-New Zealand, but via Henschke… It holds 9 grams of residual sugar, and for numbers geeks, 10.7 grams of acidity at pH of 2.75…Wild. Lemon, custard, sweet spice, lemon curd, sweet scents. Palate is really zingy, electric, bristles with insane, sherbetty, tangy, just-ripe lemony tang. Whoo! Mouth puckering chalky/slate-like mineral finish. Intense! But kinda awesome too. Ultra refreshing.” Mike Bennie, JULY 2016, WineFront.com.au
- 94 POINTS – “Here is a riesling of power, persistence and personality, made from very old 21B clone vines planted in 1978 on a bench in east Kelowna. Winemaker David Paterson says it’s the best he has made and its hard to disagree. The nose is terrific, bristling with citrus (tangerine/grapefruit), pear, herbs and spice. It’s big, firm and powerful (13%) with palate flesh yet riveting acidity and a finish that redolent of wet stone. The length is outstanding. Some may prefer more silky, subtle riesling but this is stunning stuff. It should age decades. Release spring 2016. Tasted February 2016.” David Lawrason, FEBRUARY 2016, WineAlign.com
- 92 POINTS – “This remains one of BC’s cult rieslings year in and out, with heady local and international acclaim (including Jancis Robinson). The Old Vines Riesling is from 1978 estate heritage blocks, farmed sustainably and cropped low, able to take the challenges of the 2013 vintage in stride. Lime pith, green apple and subtle eraser aromas concentrate on the focused palate, one driven by taut acidity and layered with potent lemongrass, wild herbs, citrus pith and river stone minerality. A chalky grip gives savoury structure, while ringing and juicy high acidity brings joy. White grapefruit lingers on the lengthy, dry finish. This is a wine built for age, be patient and try at five year intervals through 2030.” Treve Ring, MARCH 2016, GismondiOnWine.com
- 93 POINTS – “A stunning BC Riesling with concentrated flavours of lime blossom, lemongrass and wet stone. Racy acidity and minerality for seafood and shellfish. Highly recommended.” Natalie MacLean, MARCH 2016, NatalieMcLean.com
- 93 POINTS – “The wine has begun to develop the classic petrol aroma of Riesling, along with notes of lime. On the palate, there are flavours of lime and grapefruit around a firm spine of minerality. The wine has good weight and a very long and profound finish.” John Schreiner, APRIL 2016 John Schreiner on Wine
- 92 POINTS – “This is big, powerful riesling from a great B.C. producer. Bracing acidity underscores delectable lime and grapefruit flavours along with notes of spring flowers and crisp peach. Fans of classic Mosel riesling will by impressed by the chalky, wet-stone character, too. Worth cellaring for five years at least (more if you like fine older whites) to build complexity. Great for shellfish, young cheeses or as an apéritif.” Beppi Crosariol, MAY 2016, The Globe and Mail
- 91 POINTS – “An intense ripe nose with ripe peach, apple, lime and mineral notes and some exotic citrus zest notes. The palate is slightly off-dry with crisp zingy acidity and plenty of powerful lime, lemon, green apple and stone fruit. Great length and should age very well. Excellent example of BC Riesling. (Tasted Apr 2016) Rhys Pender, MW, APRIL 2016, WineAlign.com