Our 2015 Riesling is a wonderfully juxtaposed wine – poised on the edge with both a luscious texture and lively acidity.
Pure pale lemon in colour, the wine’s aromatics speak to our vineyard’s surroundings, showcasing an abundance of orchard fruit and wild flowers. The palate is all at once light with a Spring rain freshness yet still holds weight and complexity.
At the core is an intense citrus character underpinned by notes of cardamom and apple skin and met alongside roasted pineapple and quince – hallmarks of a very warm growing season. The finish shows classic Tantalus intensity and focus with no shortage of mouth-watering length.
The 2015 growing season gave us record-breaking heat but the balance in our Riesling remained intact. Curiously, once temperatures reach above 35 degrees Celsius, vines enter a dormant protective mode. Our very warm July in particular saw steady and slow ripening as opposed to what one might expect. Cooler September evenings soon arrived and offered a welcome relief as harvest commenced and the ripening phase finished off.
With a series of warm growing seasons behind us, our dedication to thoughtfully promote a healthy, balanced vineyard is paramount. Organic nutrient additions and precise canopy and irrigation management all play a vital role. In addition, we continue to farm as sustainably as possible – without the use of herbicides or pesticides. Our honey bee apiary is thriving and we’re amazed at the diversity of resident species that can be found on our property – a true testament for us to the health of our site.
- 91 POINTS – “The wine has intense aromas and flavours of citrus mingled with notes of spice and with lively acidity.” John Schreiner, April 2016, John Schreiner on Wine
- 93 POINTS – “Chic, racy, focused. There’s little wonder why Tantalus has so many devoted fans, their Rieslings are their flagship and here is yet another stunning example. It is undeniably pristine, offering crunchy green apples, mineral, apricot, spring blossoms, honey and lemondrops on the nose. Expect amazing tension and concentration juxtaposed with focus and style. It boasts an oily weight with a tangy and lengthy lemon-lime finish.
Chic yet entirely gulpable.” Daenna Van Mulligan, June 2016, WineScores.ca
- 90 POINTS – “This is youthful and exuberant but also nicely compact and complex. There is lemon, pineapple, fresh herbs and wet stone on the nose, with a subtle subtext of youthful yeast/graininess. It’s mid-weight, firm and juicy but not austere. The fruit hits excellent length with some feint honeyed and floral complexity as well. Tasted April 2016.” David Lawrason, April 2016, WineAlign.com
- 90 POINTS – “Well with the arena of aridity, salinity and sheer marketability, here is a showy Tantalus with super searing lemon flavours emerging out of great atmosphere and aromatic intensity. Some Riesling taketh away and some are mouth watering, like this. The stone fruit goodness attacks and sticks to the tongue like sap, then glides effortlessly down. Tantalus might make me think of things that are out of reach, “standing in water, but dying of thirst, this is my thanks and this is my curse.” Yet this early to market 2015 Riesling offers an antithetical view, ready, willing and able to please. Drink 2016-2019. Tasted April 2016.” Michael Godel, April 2016, WineAlign.com
- 90 POINTS – “A superb BC Riesling with aromas of wet stone, lemon, lime and chives. Pair with vegetarian dishes.” Natalie MacLean, May 2016, NatalieMacLean.com